January 07, 2020
MUMBAI: A fire broke out at the main entrance of the 16th century Vasai Fort on Monday night. No damage has been reported.
Locals noticed the flames at around 9.30pm at the main entrance of the Portuguese Fort. Dry grass covering the main entrance was on fire and it engulfed the row of the date palms inside the fort precinct.
The Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation (VVMC) fire brigade personnel reached the spot and managed to contain the fire.
The fort is under restoration by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). Locals alleged that the fire may have been caused by miscreants who were denied entry into the fort on New Year’s Eve. On the eve of New Year around 150 cars and 50 two-wheelers were denied entry into the fort. Huge amount of liquor bottles and plastics were still seized from the fort the next day.
Locals and fort lovers have been complaining about the 500-year-old fort being used for consumption of alcohol, illegal pre-wedding photo shoots and couples.
Fire brigade officials said that the cause of the fire has not been ascertained. Dry grass had caught fire. Locals suspect that petrol was used in the fire.
No complaint has been filed yet.
To Know More About Latest Thane City News Visit Thaneweb.com
Source : timesofindia.indiatimes.com